- Kosher salt, and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, each cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cup s chicken broth
- 3 tbs all purpose flour
- 3 tbs chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 garlic clove s, minced
- 5 medium Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1. In large saucepot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic, carrots, celery, and onion, and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are almost soft, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium; stir in 2 tablespoons flour. Gradually stir in broth. Stir in thyme, bay leaf, parsley, pepper, and nutmeg.
2. Add potatoes and heat to simmering. Partially cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In small bowl, whisk together milk and remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir mixture into soup. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until soup thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt, and pepper; remove and discard thyme sprigs, and bay leaf.
3. Ladle soup into bowls to serve.
Makes: 8 cups