- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 bag (10 ounces) chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pint red grape tomatoes, each cut lengthwise in half
- 1 1/4 pounds beef loin sirloin steaks, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil plus addtional for grill
- 1/2 habanero chile pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 garlic clove s
- 2 medium red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 red, and/or orange bell peppers, each cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 small portobello mushrooms, each cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 (10-inch) wooden or stainless steel skewers
1. Prepare Marinade: In blender or food processor with knife blade attached, pulse all ingredients, except ¼ teaspoon salt and oil, until garlic, and chile pepper are chopped. With blender or processor running, drizzle in oil and process until well combined.
2. Prepare Kabobs: Place beef in large zip-top plastic bag. Pour ½ cup marinade over beef. Seal bag and refrigerate 2 to 6 hours to marinate. Refrigerate remaining marinade.
3. If using wooden skewers, soak in water 10 minutes. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. In large bowl, toss mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and zucchini with ¼ cup remaining marinade. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Alternately thread beef and vegetables onto skewers; sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
4. Lightly oil hot grill rack. Place kabobs on hot grill rack, cover grill and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until internal temperature of beef reaches 145° for medium-rare (10 to 12 minutes or 160° for medium; 12 to 14 minutes or 170° for well-done), rotating kabobs every 2 to 3 minutes. Serve kabobs over lettuce and tomatoes. Drizzle with remaining marinade.