- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pkg (10 ounce s) frozen creamed spinach, thawed
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 clove s of garlic, crushed with press
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup )
- 4 medium tomatoes (about 8 ounces each)
1. Place oven rack about 6 inches from source of heat. Preheat broiler. Spray 8 x 8 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. With sharp knife, cut off ¼ inch from stem end of each tomato. With spoon, carefully scoop out pulp and seeds from tomatoes making sure bottom and side of tomatoes are intact. Place tomatoes, cut side up, in prepared baking dish.
2. In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and onion, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in creamed spinach, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture simmers, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat and stir in ½ cup cheese.
3. Evenly spoon creamed spinach mixture into tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Broil tomatoes 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.