Special Instructions for Minors
Employees between the ages of sixteen (16) and eighteen (18) must obtain a work permit from their local Board of Education. Application should be made the day of hire. The certificate received from the Board of Education must be given to the store operator.
Employees under the age of eighteen (18) are considered legal minors, and the following special work rules apply to them:
• A work permit must be submitted on or prior to the minor’s first day of work.
• Minors may not operate any power equipment.
• Minors may not operate, clean, or unload debris in the cardboard bailer.
• Minors may not operate meat slicers or bread slicers.
• Minors may not scan or ring alcohol.
• Minors may not purchase alcohol, tobacco products, or state lottery tickets.
• Minors may not work more than six (6) consecutive days in a row.
• Minors may not work more than eight (8) hours per day, or forty (40) hours per week.
• Minors must take a thirty-minute (30-minute) uninterrupted break if working more than five (5) hours.
• Minors must not use, consume, or possess cigarettes, other tobacco products, or paper used to roll cigarettes.
• Minors may not work before 7 a.m. on any day school is in session or 6 a.m. if the person was employed after 8 p.m. the previous night.
• Minors may not work after 11 p.m. on any night preceding a day that school is in session.